February 11, 2020
Music tech is having a phenomenal impact on the well-being of those facing significant mental health challenges. “We’re not fixing people, we’re creating the conditions within which they often choose to flourish,” says Simon Glenister, Founder and Director of Noise Solution, one of the UK’s top 100 performing social enterprises.
Our guest today is Simon Glenister, Founder and Director of Noise Solution, one of the UK’s top 100 performing social enterprises. Noise Solution uses music tech to impact the well-being of those facing significant engagement and mental health challenges. Simon recently completed a Masters in Education at Cambridge University researching Noise Solution’s impact on well-being. He’s had 20 years experience working with people in challenging circumstances; and is a multi-instrument professional musician.
- “We’re not fixing people, we’re creating the conditions within which they often choose to flourish.” – Simon Glenister
- Noise Solution’s methods are informed by the Self Determination Theory (Deci and Ryan), which recognizes three accepted psychological needs required for well-being to flourish: a sense of 1) Autonomy (self-efficacy or control), 2) Competency (developing skills and the ability to learn), and 3) Relatedness (feeling connected to those around you).
- Headline outcomes over the last year: Using this approach with a population facing significant engagement and mental health challenges, Noise Solution has seen: 40% of participants re-engaging with education, work or voluntary placements, with 220% ‘in-year’ savings for family and services (independently assessed) and significant population level improvements in measured well-being (independently assessed), achieved by taking 66% of participants to within two points, at or above the UK national well-being average (using a validated NHS scale).
- Overall, Noise Solution sees about 71% completion and 88% attendance among its population of prolific non-attenders, school phobics and those facing challenges around depression and anxiety. Eighty percent continue with their music making.
- Social Return On Investment (SROI): Significant shifts in well-being lead to improvements in engagement and social outcomes. Noise Solution’s work has resulted in a 330% savings for family and services.
Use found sounds either downloaded or recorded on your phone to create musical ideas. I recently spent a session making drum kits out of Narwhale and penguin noises. I’ve also spent time out in the community with participants recording the spaces we walk through and cutting those elements up to create rhythmic backgrounds for composition.
- Noise Solution website
- Noise Solution Impact Report 2019
- Simon Glenister academic research and writing
- Simon Glenister LinkedIn profile
- (UPDATE 2/2/21) Noise Solution: over 1700 hours of online music mentoring:
Simon shares the song (and the story behind it) called Anthem, created by a Noise Solution participant.