October 27, 2020
Athletic anthems can be used to enhance motivation and performance in athletics, on the job, and in life. Author and trainer-to-Olympians Daniel Stewart discusses selecting the perfect song for your situation, the role of song lyrics, and converting your anthem to a mojo mantra.
Joining me today is Daniel Stewart, one of the world’s leading experts on equestrian sport psychology. He’s an internationally acclaimed author of three (soon to be four) books, including Pressure Proof Your Riding. Daniel teaches clinics to thousands of riders each year, has published countless magazine articles, and is the equestrian sport psychology and rider-fitness consultant to many equestrian associations. Daniel’s clients include Olympic athletes, and I was hoping to talk to Daniel in time to release this episode in July during the originally scheduled 2020 Olympics, but Daniel’s schedule was completely packed, and I told him I’d take him whenever I can get him, and I’m thrilled to be getting him on the show now!
- Daniel brings a holistic, multi-pronged approach to his coaching. He tells us about when he realized that music could be a part of enhancing an athlete’s motivation and performance or both.
- Daniel talks about selecting athletic anthems for different purposes: calming, empowering, pumping up
- Music plays a role in our mood, motivation, energy, stamina, and pain perception. Music can pump us up, calm us down, make us happy, and lower our perception of pain by up to 20%.
- The best songs containing hidden positive messages, which can have a mantra or positive-affirmation effect. [To learn more, listen to my conversation with a psychologist in Ep. 51: Conscious music: How do lyrics shape my mental narrative? with Jamie Goldstein, PsyD]
- Daniel tells us about his newest book, coming out in February 2021: Bolder, Braver, Brighter.
- Instagram: @daniel_coach
- Daniel’s books include:
- Email Daniel at Rideright1@gmail.com for coaching sessions or to preorder a signed copy of his upcoming book!
- Previous episodes mentioned in this conversation:
- If you enjoyed this episode, you’ll also enjoy Ep. 52: In honor of the “2020” Olympics: The MUSICAL Olympic event, with champion equestrian Betsy Van Dyke
- View Daniel’s past weekly tip on motivating with music:
Daniel shares an audio clip of his son playing the ukulele under a magnificent arch in Arches National park in Moab, UT.
Thanks again to Daniel!
I am planning a future episode on the topic of music as a gift – ways to gift music to others, which is the gift that keeps on giving. These can be practical gifts, gifts of musical experiences, physical items or non-tangible items like an original song. If you have any creative ideas to share, I would love to hear them! You can connect with me on social media, email, or my website.
Thank you so much for joining me today. Until next week, may your life be enhanced with music.
Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Some of this site’s product links are affiliate links, which means we may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you, for purchases made through these links.