Photo by Eren Li on Pexels
MedRhythms is a groundbreaking digital therapeutics company that built the world’s first prescription music product. This pioneering product uses the neurological capacities of music to improve walking, mobility, and related functional outcomes, especially for those with multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s, and stroke effects. Learn how it is prescribed and administered, and the science behind music’s contribution to the product’s effectiveness.
My guest today is joining me from Boston. Brian Harris is Co-Founder and CEO of MedRhythms, a digital therapeutics company focused on the intersection of music, neuroscience and technology. Brian is a board-certified music therapist; inventor; author of publications related to music and rehabilitation. His work has been featured in many outlets, including Forbes, CNBC, Rolling Stone, and The Huffington Post.
- How and why was MedRhythms started?
- “[MedRhythms’] mission is to positively impact the lives of those living with neurologic injury and disease by building next-generation neurotherapeutics that leverage the power of music and technology to redefine what’s possible in brain health, for patients around the world.”
- MedRhythms’ products, who they’re for, and how they leverage the power of music.
- What a MedRhythms treatment process and experience looks like – how it is prescribed and administered.
- Musical elements or genres that are most effective in facilitating therapeutic outcomes with MedRhythms; and how the appropriate music is selected for each patient’s treatment.
- The science behind music’s contribution to these products’ effectiveness.
- Is this a band-aid or cure — are patients reliant on the music to walk, or are they eventually able to walk without the music?
- Brian’s favorite success story that demonstrates the impact of music via MedRhythms products.
- MedRhythms products’ FDA-approval status; Can the MedRhythms treatment be prescribed by doctors and reimbursed by insurance companies?
- MedRhythms website
- Scientific research available on this page of their site
- Sign up for the MedRhythms Newsletter to get updates on their technology, clinical research, and more.
- MedRhythms blog
- Brains with Brian
- MedRhythms on LinkedIn
- MedRhythms on Facebook
- MedRhythms on Instagram
- MedRhythms on Twitter
Other episodes we mentioned or that you may enjoy:
- Ep. 4: Music Rewires the Brain (Maegan Morrow, Gabby Giffords’ music therapist)
- Ep. 96: Restoring function and quality of life for those with Multiple Sclerosis; with Betsy Hartman, MT-BC
- Ep.39: Parkinson’s Disease Interventions with Music; “Music provides structure for movement.” Marion Haase, M.M.
- Ep. 150: Chronic pain relief and management through music; with Nancy Jackson, PhD, MT-BC
- View all episodes related to Science & Health
JAMBAR: This is a quick break to tell you about my new favorite energy bar – a bar that has combined two of my favorite things: music and food! JAMBAR is a Certified Organic whole food bar that was created by Jennifer Maxwell, a food science and nutrition expert, athlete, and musician. Jennifer was also co-creator of the original, iconic PowerBar in the 1980s that launched the entire energy bar industry!
Jennifer’s love for music inspired the creation of JAMBAR, and you can see that reflected in the music-themed flavors that include Musical Mango, Jammin’ Jazzleberry, Chocolate Cha Cha, and Malt Nut Melody.
One of the things I like best about these bars, besides the great taste, is that they are higher in protein and less sweet than the all-natural bars I’ve found in the past. Each JAMBAR is packed with ten grams of protein and is minimally sweetened with only all-natural sweeteners. JAMBARs are non-GMO and gluten-free; and two of the four flavors use plant-based protein, for a dairy-free option.
On top of all that, JAMBAR donates a whopping fifty percent of net profits to programs that support the art of music and active living.
For a convenient way to eat whole foods on the go, while supporting causes that are making the world a better place, join me in reaching for JAMBARs. Available at Amazon, select retailers, and jambar.com. For more info, you can also visit Episode 160.
Brian describes the moment that he witnessed the power of music for the first time, which changed his life and career trajectory.
Wow, what a powerful story — I have goosebumps just listening to that. Thank you to Brian for sharing that with us, and for all he does to enhance lives with music! As always, there are lots of links in the show notes with ways to learn more about MedRhythms and the science behind their products and the music.
All Enhance Life with Music episodes are evergreen; so check out the back catalogue for more ways that music can make your life better.
You can always connect with me on email (email@example.com), Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, or LinkedIn.
Thank you so much for joining me today. Until next time, may your life be enhanced with music.
Note: We occasionally use affiliate links for products and services we whole-heartedly believe in. We may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you, for purchases made through these links. This helps support the free content we provide.